- 1 ripe mango
- juice of 1 lime
- 150 ml double or regular cream
- a few mint leaves, to decorate (optional)
For the coconut macaroon meringue:
- 3 egg whites
- 175 g desiccated coconut
- 125 g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- To make the meringue, place the egg whites in a spotlessly clean bowl and lightly whisk until frothy but not yet forming soft peaks. Then mix in the desiccated coconut and sugar with a metal spoon.
- Tip the mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet and shape into a round about 22cm (8½in) in diameter, making sure the centre is slightly hollowed out (to hold the mango and whipped cream).
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until the meringue is a rich golden brown (but not burnt!). Remove from the oven and leave to stand for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then place a wire rack on top of the meringue and flip over so that it is upside down. Peel off the baking parchment and allow to cool. Once cool, flip the meringue over onto a serving plate so that it is the right way up again.
- While the meringue is cooling, peel the mango, remove the stone and cut the flesh into 1–2cm (½–¾in) cubes. Place in a bowl, add the lime juice and toss together.
- Pour the cream into another bowl and whisk until it forms soft peaks, then spread over the cooled meringue. Arrange the pieces of mango on the top of the whipped cream and decorate with a few mint leaves (if using) to serve.