These stuffed mushrooms are perfect as a little starter for two and they are so easy but the delicious reward for minimal work is outstanding!
- 8 large mushrooms
- 25 g breadcrumbs
- 1 clove of garlic
- 50 g pecorino
- 4 tblsp fresh, flat-leaf parsley
- 25 g hazelnuts
- black pepper, olive oil and 1 lemon
- Scrub any dirt off the mushrooms and pluck out the stems (save for stock or soup). Place them cap side up on a baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper and brush lightly with good quality olive oil.
- Finely chop the parsley and garlic.
- Toast the hazelnuts and chop finely, if you have a food processor, chuck the whole lot in and whizz until the mixture is small enough.
- Grate both the lemon zest and the Pecorino, set aside 1/4 of the grated cheese.
- Combine all the chopped and grated ingredients in a large bowl, add 3 healthy tablespoons of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of pepper. You can add salt if you desire, though the Pecorino is very salty as it is.
- Spoon (or lob) the mixture onto the tops of the oiled mushrooms. Finish with a sprinkling of the leftover Pecorino on each shroom and bake for 12 minutes in a 200°c oven.
Top tips: Why not caramelise an onion and place a little onion on each mushroom before you put the topping on? It will add a sweet element to counteract the salty cheese. You could also use Parmesan in place of Pecorino, it has a peppery, yet almost fruity and creamy aftertaste as opposed to a salty bite. Another idea would be to place a spoonful of cream cheese under the topping before baking if you wanted to make it a little more indulgent.