A fabulous main course - perfect for a dinner party! Served with Wilted Spinach and Potato Rosti finished with a Red Wine Jus
- 600 g beef fillet
- 1 bunch of curly parsley (finely chopped)
- a few sprig of thyme (finely chopped)
- a few sprigs of rosemary (finely chopped)
- 12 pancetta slices
- 10 ml olive oil
- 0.5 clove garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 0.5 bottle red wine (reduced)
- 200 ml beef stock
- for the rosti:
- 100 g butter
- 4 large potatoes (peeled and grated)
- 10 ml olive oil
- for the spinach:
- 500 g baby spinach
- 5 ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and crushed)
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC/Gas 4.
- Chop the parsley, thyme and rosemary and set aside. Season the beef with salt and pepper and roll in the finely chopped herbs until coated. Wrap the pancetta around the beef and roll tightly in Clingfilm. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Next make the rosti. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the grated potatoes and then season with salt and pepper. Mould the potatoes into four round metal rings and fry in a little olive oil until golden on both sides.
- Place the spinach over a medium heat, with a little oil and crushed garlic until it wilts. Season well and remove excess moisture.
- Cut the beef into four pieces and pan fry in a little olive oil for two minutes on each side. Place on a roasting tray and roast for 8-10 minutes for rare beef (a little longer for medium or well done meat) Remove and keep warm for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sweat the shallot and garlic over a medium heat in the cooking pan. Add the red wine, and simmer until it has reduced by half. Stir in the beef stock and reduce the mixture by one third or until it has a sauce consistency, then pass through a sieve.
- To serve, place the potato rosti in the middle of the plate and arrange the spinach on top. Slice the beef in half and put on top and drizzle with the red wine jus.
More by Sarah Newman:
- Mushroom Filled Ravioli Parcels with White Wine Foam
- Pan Fried Prawns with Dressed Baby leaves and Crispy Ciabatta bread
- Zesty Lemon Tart, Blackberry Ice Cream