- 6g dried alaria seaweed (rinsed and soaked in a cup of cold water overnight)
- 250 ml blueberry juice or juice from 2-3 ruby grapefruit, or apple juice
- 4 handfuls (choose from spinach, chard, 1-2 dandelion leaves, beet greens, young nettle tops in spring, broccoli, 1-2 leaves of kale, lettuce, rocket, collard greens)
- 1 sprig of mint,lemon balm, coriander or fennel
- 0.25 ripe pineapple (core included or a handful of frozen berries or half an apple)
- 2-3 frozen or fresh bananas, or 3-4 pears
- 1 inch of ginger
- ground hemp and flax seeds
- Pour the soaking water from the Alaria into a blender. Chop the Alaria roughly and add to the blender with the juice and pineapple. Blend on high before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Gradually add all the greens and fruit leaving the chopped bananas until the end. Add more water or juice if you like. Taste while it is still in the blender so you can adjust the flavour.
- If the smoothie is too bitter add a little more banana or a small amount of local honey or agave.
- Cook’s tip: to freeze bananas pack them into a plastic container that will hold three bananas and slice into 1cm (½ inch) pieces. Freeze until required. Frozen bananas make the smoothie thick.