Serve big hearty spoonfuls of the chilled rice with an extra sprinkling of sugar and cinnamon and big dollops of whipped cream.
- 200 g (7oz) pearl rice (pudding rice)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tblsp butter
- 1 l (1 3/4 pints) full-fat milk
- 4 tblsp vanilla sugar, plus extra to serve
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra to serve
- whipped cream, to serve
- Add the rice, 250ml water, salt and butter to a large saucepan, then cover with a lid and place over a high heat.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Pour in the milk and add the vanilla sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir through to combine then return the mixture to the boil and again reduce the heat and simmer slowly for about 25–35 minutes or until you have a creamy rice pudding consistency but the rice still has a little bite to it.
- Pour the rice pudding into a ceramic dish and allow to cool before covering and popping it in the fridge until chilled.
- Serve big hearty spoonfuls of the chilled rice with an extra sprinkling of sugar and cinnamon and big dollops of whipped cream.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella
- Moroccan Chickpea Burgers: Lunch/Dinner sorted
- Roast Chicken: Donal Skehan style