Julmust and Mustard Skinka, as the Swedes call it.
- 1 kg ham
- 2 l julmust or cola
- 1 large onion
- 1 tblsp black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tblsp mustard
- 1 tblsp sugar
- 3 tblsp fine breadcrumbs
- Place the ham in a large pot and pour in the julmust/cola along with the onion, peppercorns and bay leaf. If the liquid doesn't reach the top of the pot, top up with water.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer steadily for 40 minutes per kg.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, mustard and honey and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- When cooked, remove from the liquid and allow to cool slightly before removing the skin, exposing the fat.
- Spread the mustard mix over the top of the ham and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Place the ham in a roasting tray and bake for 20 minutes until golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing thinly to serve.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Caramelised Banana American Pancakes
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa