Not unlike a French Potato Dauphinoise, this Swedish take features anchovies and is a regular at the Swedish Christmas table.
- 14-16 swedish anchovy fillets and the brine they're stored in
- 2 large onions (sliced in half moons)
- 5 medium potatoes (peeled and chopped into matchsticks)
- 200 ml cream
- 2 tblsp butter
- a small handful of fine breadcrumbs
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 225C.
- Put half the potatoes into a large rectangular Pyrex dish. Evenly distribute the anchovy fillets and onions over the top of the potatoes and top with the remaining potatoes.
- Pour half the cream and anchovy brine over the top and then add the butter in knobs over the top. Season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Place in the oven until the potatoes are golden and after 20 minutes remove from the oven and top with the breadcrumbs and remaining cream and brine.
- Place back in the oven and cook for a further 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella
- Moroccan Chickpea Burgers: Lunch/Dinner sorted
- Roast Chicken: Donal Skehan style