Catherine Fulvio shares one of her favourite Italian festive treats
- 2 medium aubergines, cut into 2cm cubes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 celery stalks (trimmed and cut into 1.5cm pieces)
- 500 ml tomato sauce
- 65 g capers, rinsed
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- sugar, to taste
- 125 g green olives
- crusty bread, to serve
- 50 ml olive oil, extra.virgin
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 2 400g cans plum tomatoes, crushed
- fresh basil leaves
- sugar to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Degorge the aubergine by placing the cubes in a colander and sprinkling with salt.
- Leave for 30 minutes to allow the bitter juices to drain, then rinse the aubergine and pat dry.
- Heat some olive oil in a deep frying pan. Shallow fry the aubergines until they are soft and golden in colour. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat a pan with oil. Sauté the onions and celery on a low heat for 7–10 minutes, until they begin to colour.
- Add the tomato sauce, capers, vinegar and sugar and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the aubergine and olives and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Allow to cool and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. Serve at room temperature with crusty bread.