- 500 g puff pastry
- 6 tblsp demerara sugar
- 240 g mince meat
- 1 beaten egg white
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C (425°F/Gas 7).
- Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a Euro coin.
- Cut out 5 inch diameter disks, you should get around 8 from this recipe.
- Put one heaped tablespoon of mince meat in the centre of each disk.
- Wet the edges of the pastry with water and gather them all up and pinch them together at the top.
- Flip the cake over so the smooth bottom part is at the top.
- Craft it into a neat disk shape and make 3 slits across the top until you reach the fruit.
- Gently roll each cake with a rolling pin so the fruit is even more exposed.
- Brush with the egg white and sprinkle with some Demerara sugar.
- Pop into the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Serve with brandy cream or brandy butter.
Arun's tips: When buying puff pastry all butter is best. Make smaller versions to serve with tea or as a petit fours! Gently roll each cake with a rolling pin so more fruit is exposed. Sprinkle demerara sugar on top for a better crunch.