Of course these boxty farls can be served with a variety of toppings, try splitting and spreading with a little butter, then top with black pudding and a scattering of your favourite blue cheese, then add a of onion marmalade to serve. Alternatively try smoked smoked salmon, rocket and a horseradish dressing or flash crispy bacon, cubes of Cheddar and finely chopped scallions under the grill until bubbling.
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 400 g whole peeled plum tomatoes
- pinch of sugar
- 100 g ball mozzarella (cut into small cubes)
- 100 g mature cheddar (cut into small cubes)
- 225 g raw floury potatoes, peeled
- 225 g cooked floury mashed potatoes (still warm)
- 50 g plain flour (plus a little extra for dusting)
- a little butter (for frying)
- maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lightly dressed mixed salad, to serve
- To make the tomato sauce, heat the olive oil in a pan and sauté the onions for about 5 minutes until softened but not coloured. Pour in the tomatoes and add the sugar, then season to taste. Mash down the tomatoes with a potato masher to a pulp and then simmer for 8-10 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened. Leave to cool, then blend with a hand-held blender until smooth.
- To make the boxty, coarsely grate the potatoes into a clean tea towel, then over a bowl wring out all of the excess starchy liquid. Tip the squeezed potatoes into a separate bowl and cover with the mashed potatoes.
- Once the squeezed out liquid has settled the starch drops to the bottom. Carefully pour off the clear liquid from the top and discard, then mix the starch thoroughly with the grated and mashed potatoes. Sift over the flour and salt and knead lightly in the bowl until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out on to a floured board and roll out a circle that is about 2cm (3/4") thick, then cut into 4 x farls (triangles). Heat a griddle pan or large frying pan and add a knob of butter. Add the boxy farls and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Leave the farls to cool a little and then spread over a little of the tomato sauce. Scatter over the cheese and flash under a preheated grill for a couple of minutes until bubbling and golden. Serve at once on warmed plates with some mixed salad.
More by Neven Maguire:
- The Today Show: Neven Maguire's Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Neven Maguire style
- Caramelised Pork Belly, Neven Maguire, Today show