- 175 g butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 2 tblsp cocoa powder
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 100 g ground almonds
- 4 large eggs
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 100 g salted caramel truffles
- chilled pouring cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150C (300F/Gas 2). Generously butter a 25cm square baking dish that is at least 5cm (2") deep and dust in half of the cocoa powder.
- Break up the chocolate into squares and place in a food processor with the butter, sugar, almonds and the rest of the cocoa powder. Blend until smooth, then with the motor running crack in the eggs one at a time. Tip in the flour and blend again briefly until smooth.
- Using a spatula, transfer the cake mixture into the prepared baking dish and then scatter over the salted caramel truffles, pushing them down gently into the cake mixture so that they are just peeping out.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cake is almost set but still slightly wobbly in the middle. Serve straight to the table and allow guests to help themselves. Have a nice jug of chilled cream to hand around separately.