Delicious scones that are easy to make.
- 500 g (1lb 2oz) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tblsp sugar
- 110 g (4oz) butter, cubed
- 160 g (6oz) sultanas
- 300 ml milk
- 1 egg, beaten to glaze
- 3 tblsp sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp cinnamon for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Dust a heavy baking tray with flour.
- Sieve the flour, mixed spice and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- Rub in the butter using your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sultanas.
- Make a well in the middle. Pour in the milk and mix with your hands to form a soft dough.
- Wash your hands and tip the scone dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Flatten the dough to about 1". Use a scone cutter or knife to divide the dough into 12 scones.
- Gently place the scones onto the floured tray and brush with the beaten egg, sprinkle sugar & cinnamon mix over the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and lightly golden.
Lilly Higgins' tips: Fresh Raspberries or Blueberries can be added instead! Try Chocolate chips for a sweet treat! Half brown & half white flour can be used to make a healthier version!