- 6 pork sausages (sliced 4cm diagonally)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp harrisa paste
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 100 g butterbeans (soaked the night before and rinsed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 800 ml to 900ml vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 tblsp chopped parsley for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 180C (Fan160C/Gas 4).
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole dish, add the sausage and brown lightly.
- Add the onion, stir in the harrisa paste, red pepper, carrot, garlic, tomato puree and oregano, gently sauté for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring from time to time. You may need to add a little stock at this point.
- Stir in the butterbeans, bay leaf and stock, bring to the boil, cover and place in the oven for about 25 – 30 minutes until the beans are cooked through.
- Check the seasoning and sprinkle over parsley. Serve with steamed green beans.
Catherine's tips: Add sliced chorizo & orange zest instead of the pork sausage. Using a can of butterbeans is very convenient and time saving. (The cooking time will be about 12 to 15 minutes.)