Michael Healy-Rae combines Sneem Black Pudding with Sautéed Potatoes, Carmelised Apple and Roasted Hazelnut Salad.
- 3 oz butter
- 4 slices (approx 3oz each) of sneem black pudding
- 2 medium sized kerr’s pinks peeled and sliced into ¼ inch discs
- 4 apples peeled, cored and quartered
- 1 floz whiskey
- 2 tblsp sugar
- 4 oz baby salad leaves
- 4 oz hazelnuts, skin on
- for the vinaigrette:
- 3 floz hazelnut oil
- 2 floz apple cider vinegar
- 2 purple shallot onions, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tblsp caster sugar
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Roast the hazelnuts by heating the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Then place the hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast for 10 minutes or until the skins are dark golden brown. Then remove them from heat and leave to cool.
- Place the hazelnuts in a clean tea towel and rub them together vigourously until the skins loosen. Discard the skins and coarsely crush nuts with a rolling pin and set aside.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk the hazelnut oil, cider vinegar, diced shallots, seasoning and sugar and set aside.
- Place the sliced potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with cold, lightly salted water, bring to a boil. Simmer for approx 5 minutes until just almost cooked, then remove from heat and rinse under cold water to stop cooking process (potatoes should be still quite firm).
- In a frying pan heat 1 tblsp butter and sauté potatoes until lightly golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm
- In another pan, melt a knob of butter over a medium heat, add the apple quarters and sauté until just coloured. Sprinkle with sugar, and add the whiskey to deglaze the pan, burn off the whiskey and remove the apple slices.
- In a frying pan, sauté the black pudding with some butter on each side for 3-4 minutes until they are lightly crisped then remove from heat.
- To assemble the dish, place the sautéed potatoes on the place, with some caramelised apple slices. The place the black pudding on top and top everything with some dressed salad leaves. Garnish with hazel nuts.