Cured bacon combined with beetroot puree and pesto potatoes.
- loin of dry cured bacon
- 3 large beetroots
- 4 vine tomatoes
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 2 tblsp crème fraiche
- for parsley pesto potatoes:
- 4 potatoes
- 1 oz parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 11 oz grated parmesan cheese
- 1 oz pine nuts
- 3 floz extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Slow roast the tomatoes in a very low oven for 4/5 hrs with a sprinkling of salt and sugar. This gives a very intense flavour. They will store well in olive oil in a demi jar for up to seven days in your fridge or as is for two/three days.
- To make the beetroot puree. Wrap the beets in tin foil and roast until soft on a trivet for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 180C, 350F or Gas Mark 4. Wrap the loin of bacon in tin foil and place in a baking tray. Roast for 20 mins to the lb and 20 mins over. If you wish you can open the foil toward the end of cooking to brown the skin.
- Combine beets, tomatoes, butter and creme fraiche and puree, season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- For the parsley pesto potatoes slice the potatoes (approx ½ inch) with skins on and par boil until tender. Strain, refresh in cold water and pat dry.
- Combine all ingredients for pesto and blend in a food processor. Panfry the sliced seasoned potatoes in olive oil, add the parsley pesto and crisp up in a hot oven.
- Slice the loin of bacon and serve on a bed of puree with potatoes on the side.