A delicious lamb dish with Spiced Mint and Yoghurt Rub!
- 3 kg leg of lamb (boned and well trimmed, roughly 5cm/2" thick)
- 25 g chopped fresh mint
- juice of 2 lemons
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 tblsp ground coriander
- 1 tblsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 4 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tblsp greek strained yoghurt
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lightly dressed green salad, to serve
- Place the lamb in a shallow non-metallic dish. Mix together the mint in a bowl with the lemon juice, garlic, ground coriander, chilli powder, ground cumin, olive oil, yoghurt and a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
- Rub all over the meat, then cover with clingfilm and chill overnight or leave to stand at room temperature for 2-3 hours if time is short.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (475°F/Gas 9) or light a barbecue. If the lamb has been chilled overnight, bring it back to room temperature. If cooking in the oven, place the lamb, cut side up on a rack in a large roasting tin and season with salt. Roast in for 15 minutes, then turn over and roast for another 10 minutes for rare. Barbecue over medium-hot coals for about 50 minutes for medium rare lamb, turning occasionally.
- Remove the lamb from the oven or barbecue and leave to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes. If you don’t like your lamb too pink you can cover it with foil at this point and it will continue to cook. Carve into slices and arrange on plates with some salad.
More by Neven Maguire:
- Root Vegetable, Chicken, Orzo Broth: Neven Maguire
- Smoked Haddock Hash, Poached Eggs: Neven Maguire
- Butter Bean & Bacon Soup: Neven Maguire