You can substitute the plaice with skate, sole, brill or prawns depending on what is available. Served with a Lemon and Chive Mayonnaise
- 120 ml mayonnaise
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tblsp cream
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 175 g plain flour
- large pinch white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tblsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 675 g whole plaice (skinned, boned and trimmed into fillets)
- lightly dressed baby salad leaves, to serve
- You can substitute the plaice with skate, sole, brill or prawns depending on what is available.
- To make the lemon mayonnaise, place the mayonnaise in a bowl with the lemon juice and chives. Season to taste and stir well to combine. Transfer to a squeezy bottle and chill until needed.
- Preheat the sunflower oil to 350°F (180°C). Whisk the egg whites and cream together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, place the flour, pepper, salt, sesame seeds, chilli powder and curry powder. Mix well to combine.
- Cut the plaice into small, long, thin slices and dip into the egg mixture, rubbing the mixture in well, making sure it is well coated. Then hang the covered fish over the mix for a few seconds until it has stopped dripping too much. Now dip the fish into the spiced flour and coat it completely with the spiced flour. Deep-fry the fish for about 2 minutes or until golden and crispy. Take out and drain on some kitchen paper.
- Arrange the plaice tempura on warmed plates and drizzle each plate with some of the lemon mayonnaise. Add a small pile of salad leaves to each one and serve at once.
More by Neven Maguire:
- The Today Show: Neven Maguire's Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Neven Maguire style
- Caramelised Pork Belly, Neven Maguire, Today show