- 730 ml double cream
- 80 ml milk (semi-skimmed)
- 8 egg yolks
- 80 g caster sugar
- 2 vanilla pods (split and beans scraped out)
- 3 g black pepper (freshly ground)
- unrefined sugar as required
- In a thick bottomed pan, infuse the vanilla pods in the cream by bringing to boil, turning off the heat and leaving it where it is, to rest (and infuse!).
- In a separate bowl, beat together the yolks and sugar then stir them into the milk. Pour a small quantity of hot cream onto the yolk mixture, whisk then add this mix to your pan.
- Cook until mixture thickens at very low heat, stirring almost constantly. When the mixture is thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon well, remove vanilla pod and pour the mixture into food blender.
- Blitz so that it’s smooth, then add 3g of cracked black pepper and pour into ramekins.
- Allow to cool, then cover with cling film and chill in fridge leave for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Sugar Biscuit:
- Dry roast 50-100g shelled, split whole almonds in a pan so just golden brown (Marcona almonds are a wonderful milky almond from Spain). Crack and roughly chop 50-100g skinned, raw pistachios
- Now to make a make a sugar caramel. Place 250g of caster sugar into a thick bottomed saucepan and gently heat until it browns to a golden, dark caramel. Next, add the ground cardamom seeds of 5 pods to the ‘melted’ sugar.
- Then, being extremely careful, quickly pour the molten sugar onto a very lightly oiled marble slab or work surface.
- Pour or drizzle the sugar with a spoon so you achieve at least 6 maybe 12 thin sugar biscuits 40mm x 150-200mm long x 2-3mm thick.
- Immediately, scatter-as- you-go, the nuts, dried raspberry, cocoa nibs (if using) and a little more grated green cardamom.
- Leave to cool. Set aside the remaining other nuts for garnishing.
WARNING: Please remember sugar is very hot! So never touch it until it’s cold. And a little tip, to clean pans and spoons; pour cold water into the pan to cover. And for sugary spills; pop the ‘caked’ spoons into the pan, bring to gentle boil and the sugar will disappear, no scrubbing required!