- 50 g short grain white rice
- 2 tblsp caster sugar
- 500 ml milk
- 0.50 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 orange (rind and juice)
- 25 g butter
- pinch ground nutmeg
- Put the rice and sugar into a greased, ovenproof dish.
- Pour in the milk, mixed with the vanilla essence, add the orange rind and juice, and stir well.
- Cut the butter into tiny pieces and dot on top of the liquid.
- Sprinkle the nutmeg over it and bake in a low oven, 150C (300F, gas 2) for two hours, or until the rice is set and a pale golden colour.
- This can also be made in the microwave, but it won't have the lovely brown topping: Place all the ingredients, except the butter, in a deep microwave dish.
- Dot with the butter and sprinkle with the nutmeg.
- Bring to the boil by cooking on 'high' for 5 minutes.
- Stir, then cook on 'medium' for 30 - 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.