Make a basic tomato sauce which can be used in many dishes.
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 425 g canned tomatoes, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tblsp red wine (optional)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the chopped onion until soft.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook, stirring, for about five minutes.
- Remove from the heat, liquidise, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add some red wine, if you wish, for a bit of extra bite to the sauce.