- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 2 (400g each) cans plum tomatoes (crushed)
- fresh basil leaves
- sugar to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- First of all, heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the garlic and cook for about 10 minutes on a low heat until soft.
- Next add the tomato purée and cook for a further minute. When it is bubbling gently, add the tomatoes along with their juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about thirty minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Finally add the basil.
- This sauce will keep in the fridge for one week, and it can be frozen.