A hearty and tasty casserole.
- 675 g monkfish (filleted)
- seasoned flour
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 25 g butter
- 2 green peppers (finely chopped)
- 400 g tinned tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 tblsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp paprika
- 450 ml dry white wine
- 2 tblsp brandy
- pinch cayenne pepper
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Remove and discard the fine membrane covering the monkfish fillets, and slice each fillet into roughly 5cm/2in pieces, on the diagonal, before rolling in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil and butter in a flameproof casserole and fry the fish for a minute, turning it as you do so.
- Add the green peppers and tomatoes and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and bring up to simmering point.
- Put the lid on the casserole, transfer to the oven and bake for 45 minutes.