Make a tasty and fulfilling chowder
- 20 little neck clams
- 1 cup water
- 2 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 slice streaky bacon (minced)
- 1 cup onion (finely diced)
- 1 cup celery (finely diced)
- 2 cup potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 oz butter
- 3 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the Clams under running water to remove any sand.
- Simmer in the water, one cup of the white wine and bay leaf until open, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the clams from the poaching liquid and refrigerate.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and sauté the minced bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Reduce the heat and add the onions and celery, cook until translucent, roughly about 5 minutes.
- Add the potato and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add one cup of the poaching liquid from the clams and one cup of white wine. Reduce the liquid by half.
- Add the heavy cream and simmer 25 to 30 minutes until potatoes are tender and the cream is thick. Be careful not to boil or the cream will split.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove your poached clams from their shells and roughly chop them, add them to the Chowder just before serving.