A refreshing way to serve a traditional dish
- 300 g smoked trout
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 1 red onion
- a few leaves of basil
- 1 curly endive
- 1 packet of rocket leaves
- 125 g feta
- 125 g natural yoghurt
- juice of half a lime
- a little honey
- fresh mint
- 1 apple
- First, grill the red pepper all over until the skin is blackened, then remove the skin when cool (an excellent method is to place in a plastic bag, seal and leave until cool: the skin comes away more easily). Cut the flesh into julienned strips.
- Prepare the trout by removing the skin and checking for small bones. Cut into large chunks or flake if preferred.
- Mix the curly endive and rocket leaves together with a pinch of salt and assemble on a plate with crumbled feta, chick peas, slices of red onion and finally the trout.
- Peel the apple, cut into rounds and grill until nicely charred on both sides.
- Finally mix together the yoghurt, honey and lime juice to taste and then add the chopped mint and basil.
- Drizzle this around the salad and top with the strips of red pepper and charred apple abd serve.
More by Eamon Ó Cathain:
- Steamed Baby Leeks With Mustard Sauce And Hard Boiled Eggs
- Chorizo with Haricot Beans and Red Wine
- Roast Lamb with Rosemary and Sage Pesto with Rosemary and Lemon Roast Potatoes