Derry Clarke proves that fast cooking can still be tasty and original
- for the prawns:
- 20 dublin bay prawns (5 per person)
- sieved flour
- for the tempura batter:
- 100 g corn flour
- 80 ml iced sparkling water
- for the pickled vegetables:
- 0.5 cucumber (very finely sliced)
- 50 g ginger (very finely sliced)
- 3 baby radishes (very finely sliced)
- 100 ml rice wine vinegar
- 30 g sugar
- tablespoon of fresh coriander (chopped)
- For the Tempura Batter:
- In a large bowl whisk the sparkling water with the corn flour slowly until a very light airy batter is achieved.
- For the Pickled Vegetables:
- Bring the rice wine vinegar and sugar to the boil.
- Infuse with chopped coriander and pour over the chopped vegetables.
- For the Prawns:
- Coat the prawns in flour and dip in batter.
- Add one at a time to hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Place in a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Season to taste.
- To Serve:
- Place the prawns in a large bowl, and serve with pickled vegetables