John Donlon serves up this brie starter with a kick.
- 8-12 ozs brie
- 1/2 teaspoon medium curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilly powder
- 4-6 ozs breadcrumbs
- 1 tblsp plain flour
- 1 egg (beaten with 1tbsp milk)
- for the sauce:
- 1/2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 oz mixed peppers (diced finely)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 tblsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tblsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp cornflower (creamed with water)
- 1 tblsp cranberry sauce
- pepper & salt
- Make the sauce by adding the oil to your sauce pan with the peppers and onion and sweat for 1 minute. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer.
- Mix the curry powder and chilli powder with the bread crumbs in a bowl and season. Place the flour on a plate and season well.
- Now cut the Brie into good sized chunks, dip chunks in the flower then in the egg and coat generously with the bread crumbs. Deep fry at 200°C until golden brown.
- Serve by placing some Brie on a plate and put some sauce in a cruet bowl for dipping.