A delicious treat for Valentine's Day
- 175 g (6oz) plain flour
- 75 g (3oz) butter or margarine, softened
- 75 g (3oz) caster sugar
- a few drops of natural vanilla extract
- a few drops dr oetker natural red food colouring
- 1 medium size egg, beaten
- 175 g (6oz) dr oetker ready to roll coloured icing
- dr oetker writing icing
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / 350ºF/ Gas Mark 4. Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, then rub in the butter or margarine until the mixture resembles fresh breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, Flavouring or Natural Extract and Food Colouring, then bind together with the egg to bring together to form a firm dough.
- Knead gently on a lightly floured surface until smooth, then roll to a thickness of 6mm (¼ inch). Cut out 2 mouth shapes, approx. 12 x 5cm (5 x 2 inch), re-rolling the dough as necessary. Place on the baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until firm to the touch, taking care not to brown the biscuits. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To decorate, roll out the red Ready to Roll Coloured Icing thinly on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar. Cut out lip shapes, slightly smaller than the biscuits. Gently press on top of each cookie, securing in place with a little water and decorate with Writing Icing. Allow to set before serving.
More by Dr Oetker:
- Peanut Caramel Puddings with Chocolate Sauce
- Millionaire's Muffins
- Surprise Inside Caramel Cupcake Centres