- 225 g (8oz) plain flour
- 100 g (4oz) butter or margarine
- 100 g (4oz) + 2 tbsp icing sugar
- a few drops dr oetker natural almond extract
- 1 medium size egg, beaten
- 6 tblsp thick strawberry jam, sieved
- pink, yellow and blue food colourings
- dr oetker writing icing to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/ 350ºF/ Gas Mark 4. Line 2 large baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, then rub in the butter or margarine until the mixture resembles fresh breadcrumbs. Stir in 2 tbsp icing sugar and add the Almond Extract, bind together with the egg to bring together to form a firm dough.
- Knead gently on a lightly floured surface until smooth, then roll to a thickness of 6mm (¼ inch). Cut out 24 rounds using a 5cm (2 inch) plain cutter, re-rolling the dough as necessary. Place on the baking sheets and chill for 30 minutes.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until firm and lightly golden, then set aside to cool on a wire rack.
- Sandwich 2 biscuits together with a little jam and place back on the wire rack. Sieve the remaining icing sugar into a bowl and add 3-4 tsp water to form a thick, spreadable icing. Colour small amounts of the icing with Food Colouring and spread over the tops of the biscuits.
- Allow to set and then pipe with hearts and your special messages before serving.