Crumble has to be one of the easiest desserts to prepare and it is extremely easy to adapt, using whatever fruit is in season.
- 150 g plain flour
- 150 g jumbo oat flakes
- 175 g light brown sugar
- 200 g cold butter (cut into pieces)
- singe cream, to serve
- 500 g blackberries
- 500 g apples (peeled, cored and sliced into chunks -about 5 apples)
- 1 tblsp plain flour
- 60 g brown sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 large baking tin
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5).
- Place the flour, oat flakes, brown sugar and butter in a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub all of the ingredients together until it resembles chunky breadcrumbs.
- In a large baking tin, toss the strawberries and rhubarb with the flour, sugar and lemon juice until combined. Add the crumble mix on top of the filling and spread over the top until everything is evenly covered.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the crumble topping is golden brown and the fruit is soft and bubbling beneath.
- Serve in generous portions with a drizzle of fresh cream.
This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero, published by Harper Collins.