Steep the ham overnight. Calculate the cooking time, allowing 20 minutes per lb (500g).
- 1 boned and rolled ham piece of ham (about 1.5kg/3lb)
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- for the glaze:
- 1 tblsp wholegrain mustard with honey
- 1 tsp ground ginger or piece of grated fresh ginger
- 2 tblsp honey
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 100 g brown sugar
- whole cloves
- Steep the ham overnight. Calculate the cooking time, allowing 20 minutes per lb (500g).
- Use a large saucepan and cover the ham with water. Bring the pan to boiling point and drain the water off. Place the vegetables, spices and bay leaves in the pan and cover the ham again with clean water or a mixture of water and cider. Bring to the boil and simmer gently according to calculated time. Allow to cool in cooking liquor.
- Skin the ham on Christmas Day and score the fat. Stud the fat with cloves.
- Mix all the glaze ingredients together and pour over the ham.
- Stand the ham on a piece of tinfoil and crumble it up to catch the juices as they run off the ham. Bake in a moderate oven until golden and crisp.
- Keep basting the ham with the juices. This will take 30-40 minutes (170°C/ 350°F/Gas 4).