If you like sauces, this is a recipe for you.
- 4 sea trout fillets
- sea salt
- for the colcannon:
- 100 g kale leaves (or green cabbage if preferred)
- 750 g potatoes
- 3 spring onions (finely sliced)
- 150 ml milk
- 30 g butter
- sea salt
- for the mustard cream sauce:
- 1 tsp english mustard
- 1 tblsp wholegrain mustard
- 200 ml cream
- 50 g butter
- salt and pepper
- For the Colcannon:
- Boil the potatoes.
- Roughly chop the kale.
- Fry kale off with a small amount of water until it has reduced - it's similar to cooking spinach.
- Drain the potatoes and dry them out by leaving on a low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and butter to the potatoes and season with sea salt and a pinch of white pepper.
- Add your kale and mix.
- For the Trout:
- Skin the trout and cut off any excess fat.
- Check for any pin bone down the centre of the fillet and remove.
- Drizzle a baking tray with some rapeseed oil and season with sea salt.
- Pre-heat the tray under the grill.
- Place the fish under pre-heated hot grill for approximately 8 minutes.
- For the Sauce:
- Add cream to a pan with a small knob of butter, and a teaspoon of English mustard and wholegrain mustard.
- To Serve:
- Serve fish on top of colcannon with a drizzle of the sauce.
Martin's tip: If you have pre-heated the tray there is no need to turn the fish as the heat of the tray will cook the underside.