Conrad Gallagher shows us how to make the most of this healthy, tasty root vegtable.
- for the salmon:
- 4 oz piece of salmon (with skin on)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tea spoon of lemon juice
- for the salsify purée:
- 1 cup stock ( chicken or veg )
- 1 cup chopped, peeled salsify
- 1 oz butter
- 3 tbles of cream
- for the braised salsify with balsamic:
- 3 whole salsify (peeled and cut into 3 inch pieces)
- 1 table spoon of flour
- 1 table spoon of butter
- 1 table spoon of lemon juice
- 1 table spoon of balsamic
- 1 cup water
- for the salsify chips:
- 3 whole salsify (cut into strips)
- 1 whole egg
- 2 table spoons of flour
- 1 cup good quality bread-crumbs
- 1 cup spinach
- Using a non stick pan heat gently and add a pinch of olive oil, pan roast the salmon fillet skin side down, after a few second turn and brown all sides, add salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice cook for a few seconds until nice and pink.
- Using a thick bottomed pan add the stock and the peeled salsify and cook for approx 20 min until soft add the cream and butter salt and pepper and cook for another 3 minutes, put in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- In another pan cook the salsify and lemon juice, water and flour in a pan for 8 to 10 minutes or until the saofy is soft to touch, drain off the lemon juice and flour mixture, put back in clean pan and add the butter and balsamic vinegar and cook until nicely glazed always add salt and pepper.
- Pass the sliced salsify through the flour egg-wash and bread-crumbs and cook in the deep fat fryer until golden brown.
- Wilt the spinach in a pan with a little water and then dress your plate starting with the salsify puree then the spinach and then assembly the glazed salsify around in a nice decorative way place the salmon on top. Place the deep fried salsify chips on top .
More by Conrad Gallagher:
- Crabcakes with Kataifi pastry, basque style stew of peppers with rocket and shaved fennel
- Pan Seared Fillet of Turbot with Polenta and Fricassee of Field Mushrooms
- Pan Seared Scallops with Soya Beans, Chorizo, Coconut and Wild Rocket