These might sound complicated but if you have all the ingredients, all it takes is to blitz everything until smooth, stir through a little spring onion and green beans, fry them and serve for the most delicious little Asian taster!
- 450 g skinless white fish fillets (such as haddock or cod)
- 1 tblsp fish sauce (nampla)
- 1 large egg
- a good handful of fresh coriander (roughly chopped)
- 1 tblsp red curry paste
- 1 red chilli (de-seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 75 g finely sliced green beans
- 3-4 spring onions (roughly chopped)
- 4 tblsp vegetable oil
- 2-3 spring onions, to garnish
- sweet chilli dipping sauce, to serve
- These might sound complicated but if you have all the ingredients, all it takes is to blitz everything until smooth, stir through a little spring onion and green beans, fry them and serve for the most delicious little Asian taster!
- Serve as a starter with sweet chilli sauce or with a side salad for a light main course.
- Place the fish in a food processor and blitz for 3 seconds or so until smooth.
- Add the fish sauce, egg, coriander, curry paste, chilli, garlic, ginger and grated lime zest and juice and blitz again until everything is combined.
- Remove the blade from the food processor and stir through the green beans and spring onions.
- With damp hands, form the mixture into 12 balls and flatten to make fish cakes.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the fishcakes in two batches for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove with a fish slice and drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve straight away with some sweet chilli dipping sauce.
This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero, published by Harper Collins.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Caramelised Banana American Pancakes
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa