Ah! My ultimate comfort food! I love adding roast garlic to the mash to add even more flavour. Serve these with a red onion gravy and I promise you will have empty plates all round!
- 2 garlic bulbs (unpeeled)
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 kg potatoes (peeled and diced)
- a generous knob of butter
- 75 ml hot milk
- 8 large good-quality sausages or 4 large bangers
- Ah! My ultimate comfort food! I love adding roast garlic to the mash to add even more flavour. Serve these with a red onion gravy and I promise you will have empty plates all round!
- First things first, get the garlic in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
- Slice the top of the garlic bulb just enough so that each of the cloves is exposed and place in a roasting tray. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with some salt.
- Roast in the oven for 40 minutes or until soft and tender.
- When the garlic is cooked, remove the roasted cloves from their skins and mash with the back of a fork.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes, return them to the pan and add the butter and hot milk.
- Using a potato masher, mash until smooth and creamy. You may want to add a little bit more or less milk and butter - it is up to you.
- Add the mashed garlic and season with salt and black pepper, stirring to combine.
- Cover with a lid and set aside while you cook the sausages.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and fry the sausages on all sides until golden brown.
- Serve the mash topped with the cooked sausages and tuck in.
This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero, published by Harper Collins.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Caramelised Banana American Pancakes
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa