I am a big fan of simple desserts that don't take too long to prepare but still look homemade and impressive. These apple slices are beautiful served with a hearty dollop of whipped cream.
- 200 g plain flour (sifted, plus extra for dusting)
- 1 tblsp caster sugar
- 150 g butter
- for the filling:
- 3 large cooking apples (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
- 75 g brown sugar
- 50 g butter
- to serve:
- a little dusting of icing sugar
- whipped cream
- I am a big fan of simple desserts that don't take too long to prepare but still look homemade and impressive. These apple slices are beautiful served with a hearty dollop of whipped cream.
- To make the pastry, place the flour and caster sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and, using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour and sugar until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs.
- Add 3 tablespoons of cold water, a little at a time, and bring the dough together to form a ball.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge to rest for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured work surface to a 30cm x 15cm (12 x 6in) rectangle and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Toss the apple pieces with the brown sugar in a bowl then arrange them on top of the pastry, leaving about 2.5cm (1in) all the way around the edge.
- Lift up the edge of the pastry and fold it in on itself towards the apple so that you have a raised border all the way around.
- Dot the apple with a little butter.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until the apples are caramelised and the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing into individual servings.
- Dust with a little icing sugar and serve with a little whipped cream.
This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero, published by Harper Collins.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Donal Skehan's Fish & Chips recipe
- My Perfect Scrambled Eggs
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella