This recipes pushes the flavours of your plain stir fry and gives nice texture and spice!
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger (peeled and grated)
- 2 tblsp soy sauce
- 1 tblsp oyster sauce
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (sliced into thin strips)
- 100 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 tblsp sunflower oil
- 2 celery sticks (finely sliced)
- 1 carrot (peeled and finely sliced)
- 4 sp ring onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tblsp asian curry powder
- 1 tsp sesame oil, to taste
- a good handful of bean sprouts
- In a large, shallow non-metallic dish, put the garlic, ginger, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and oyster sauce. Add the chicken and toss until coated, then cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Soak the noodles in a bowl of boiling water for 6 minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a wok over a high heat, add a little sunflower oil and swirl it in the pan to coat the sides. Add the chicken including the marinade and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrot and spring onions and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the curry powder and toss through for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the noodles, bean sprouts and a drop of sesame oil to taste to the wok and, using kitchen tongs, toss everything together until it’s combined.
- Serve straightaway.
This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero, published by Harper Collins.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Donal Skehan's Creme Brulee Doughnuts
- Butterscotch Pudding: One for the grown ups!
- Treacle Beef Ribs, Cheesy Polenta: Donal Skehan