This dessert from Rachel Allen is perfect for entertaining as it can be made in up to two weeks in advance.
- 225 g white chocolate (chopped)
- 600 ml double or regular cream
- 125 ml milk
- 10 egg yolks
- 15 g caster sugar
- 125 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75 g crystallised or stem ginger (finely chopped)
- for the dark chocolate sauce:
- 200 ml double or regular cream
- 125 g dark chocolate (chopped into small bits)
- 13 x 23cm (5 x 9in) loaf tin
- Line the loaf tin with a double layer of cling film, allowing extra to come over the sides as this will be wrapped over the top as a lid later.
- Place the white chocolate and 300ml (1/2 pint) of the cream in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water on a low heat. Stir gently until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Put to one side.
- Heat the milk and the remaining cream in a saucepan, stirring all the time, until it is just about to boil, then take off the hob.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the caster sugar until thick and pale. Then, while continuing to whisk, pour the hot cream and milk mixture gradually into the yolks.
- Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and add the melted chocolate, the condensed milk and vanilla extract. Mix well and allow to cool.
- Spread the ginger over the bottom of the loaf tin to cover completely. Gently pour the parfait mixture on top of the ginger and cover the top with the extra cling film. Freeze overnight.
- To make the chocolate sauce, pour the cream into a small saucepan and bring to the boil, then removed from the heat and add the chocolate bits, stirring as they melt.
- Put the parfait in the fridge 10 minutes before serving. Then turn out of the loaf tin and serve in slices with a drizzle of the chocolate sauce.
This recipe and many more are available in Rachel's book, 'Rachel Allen: Entertaining at Home', published by Harper Collins.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking
- Roast Goose, stuffing: Rachel's Coastal Cooking