- 225 g good-quality dark chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 225 g butter
- 300 g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75 g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 22 x 30cm (9 x 12in) baking tin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Line the baking tin with non-stick parchment paper.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl does not touch the water.
- Stir constantly until it is melted and smooth.
- With an electric beater, whisk the sugar and eggs together for about 2-3 minutes until pale and light.
- Slowly add the melted chocolate and butter then add the vanilla extract and continue to whisk until thickened.
- Lastly, add the sifted flour and baking powder and fold in gently.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 30 minutes until the top is firm and the brownies have come away slightly from the sides of the tin.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. When cooled cut into 24 squares.
- You’d be welcome at any house with these!
This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero, published by Harper Collins.