- 2 (125g each) striploin or rib eye beef steaks
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tblsp sunflower oil
- 2 small ciabattas (cut in half)
- 25 g rocket leaves
- 1/2 red onion (peeled and finely sliced)
- some aioli - a spoonful per sandwich will do
- Season the steaks generously with freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and fry the steaks for 2–3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the steaks to a plate, cover with foil and allow them time to rest.
- Once rested, slice the steaks thinly, toss in the juices that have run off and season with salt.
- Assemble the sandwiches by spreading the aioli on the ciabatta halves, adding a little rocket, red onion, juicy steak slices and topping with the other ciabatta halves.
This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero, published by Harper Collins.