- 2 tblsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tblsp chinese rice wine
- 1 tblsp honey
- 1 tblsp dark brown sugar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 large chilli (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 6 skinless salmon fillets
- sesame seeds, toasted in a dry frying pan
- 6 spring onions (thinly sliced)
- for the crunchy peanut noodles (recipe for 4 people):
- 400 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 5 spring onions (sliced finely diagonally)
- a handful of salted peanuts (roughly chopped)
- for the peanut sauce (recipe for 4 people):
- 1 tblsp sunflower oil
- 1 clove of garlic (finely minced)
- 1 small thumb sized piece of ginger (finely minced)
- 1 small chilli (de-seeded and finely chopped)
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 3 tblsp soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 tblsp crunchy peanut butter
- The fantastic thing about this recipe is that all it takes is to marinate the salmon and pop in the oven when your guests arrive. Serve with noodles in a peanut butter dressing for a tasty main course!
- In a non-metallic, high-sided dish, whisk the soy sauce, rice wine, honey, dark brown sugar, lime juice, sesame oil, chilli and garlic together until combined. Add the salmon and toss in the marinade to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
- Arrange the salmon on a roasting tray and pour over the remaining marinade.
- Cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Serve the salmon sprinkled
- with toasted sesame seeds and spring onions sprinkled on top.
- For the Crunchy Peanut Noodles:
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the pack, rinse under cold water, drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small sauce pot, add the garlic, chilli and ginger and fry for about 30-40 seconds stirring continuously.
- Add in the coconut milk, lime juice, peanut butter and soy sauce. Bring to the boil, stirring to melt the peanut butter, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked noodles to a large mixing bowl and add in the spring onions. Pour in the peanut sauce and toss all the ingredients together until combined.
- Serve with a sprinkle of chopped peanuts and some extra sliced spring onion.
This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero, published by Harper Collins.