- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and finely diced)
- 3 celery sticks (finely diced)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 150 g conchiglette pasta (or any other bite-sized
- pasta shapes)
- 400g tin chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25 g parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat, add the onion and garlic and fry for 3–4 minutes until soft.
- Add the carrots, celery and oregano and fry, stirring, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the pasta and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas at the last minute and stir the soup until everything is mixed through. You want to do this just as the pasta is cooked. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve straightaway with a little grating of Parmesan cheese on top.
This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero, published by Harper Collins.