Any mixture of fish may be used. Salmon and smoked salmon may be used with white fish - cod, haddock or hake.
- 500 g fish (white and smoked, skinned and cubed)
- 25 g low fat spread
- 2 small leeks (sliced)
- 150 g frozen peas
- 25 g flour
- 280 ml low fat milk
- salt and pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 kg cooked mashed potatoes
- 25 g low fat spread and a little low fat milk
- 4 medium carrots (cooked and mashed)
- 50 g grated low fat cheese
- Melt the fat and cook the leeks for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the flour then gradually stir in the milk. Heat until thickened. Add the nutmeg and seasoning.
- Cut the fish into cubes and place in the base of a lightly greased casserole dish. Sprinkle the peas over the top.
- Mix the potato, mashed carrot, low fat spread, milk and seasoning and spread or pipe over the top of the fish.
- Sprinkle the top with low fat cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 200°C (400°F/Gas 6-7).
Marie's tips: Any mixture of fish may be used. Salmon and smoked salmon may be used with white fish - cod, haddock or hake. Leave out the smoked fish and use a few chopped streaky rashers for flavour. Top the pie with breadcrumbs and cheese mixed together for a change. Use sweet potato with ordinary potato to top the pie instead of carrot and potato mash. The pie can be prepared early and then placed in oven half an hour before it is required.