This is one of the sweetest, stickiest and heavenly cakes that Clodagh McKenna makes.
- 4 large eggs
- 150 g caster sugar
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 110 g plain flour
- 110 g semolina
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 175 g pistachios (finely ground)
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tblsp pistachios (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a large bowl, and beat together with an electric mixer on high speed for about 5 minutes. Reduce the speed and slowly pour in the vegetable oil.
- Tip in the flour, semolina, baking powder and salt, and mix well until the mixture comes together.
- Fold in the ground pistachios and lemon zest.
- Pour the cake mixture into a greased 24cm spring-form tin and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup by stirring the honey, water and lemon juice in a saucepan and placing over a high heat/. Leave the syrup to boil and reduce by half, which takes about 10 minutes.
- Use a skewer to poke deep holes in the cake while it is still hot. Drizzle half of the syrup evenly over the top, allowing it to be absorbed, then pour over the remaining syrup.
- Leave to cool completely, then sprinkle with the chopped pistachios.
- To serve:
- Serve with a dollop of mascarpone cream.
Clodagh's tip: To get the most out of your lemon, roll and massage them lightly on your hand.