Martin Shanahan serves up ray and cockles.
- 4 ray fillets
- 10/12 cockles
- flour, seasoned with salt & pepper
- rapeseed oil
- purple sprouting broccoli
- 75 ml cream
- juice of half a lemon
- 55 g butter
- sea salt & white pepper
- As with any fish we fry take the ray fillet and season the flour and cover your fish tapping off the excess. Heat the oil in a pan & fry the ray for two minutes a side.
- In a separate pan sweat the onions in the butter add the cockles and cream and a squeeze of lemon. Only eat the cockles that open. Discard any others.
- You can use any green veg here but the broccoli is a lively flavour and colour when in season. It should only take about 4 minutes simmered in water.
- Plate up the broccoli, add your ray and add about four cockles as a dressing around the ray. Spoon over some of the beautiful cream sauce.