Place the potatoes and vegetables around the steak and drizzle everything with the red wine jus and serve immediately.
- 500 g half loin beef
- 25 g butter
- 4 (50g each) foie gras slices
- 2 large sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 8 baby carrots (peeled and cubed)
- 8 shallots (peeled and cut in half)
- 8 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- for the jus:
- 150 ml red wine
- 150 chicken stock
- 20 g butter
- salt and black pepper
- Wrap the beef fillet tightly in cling film to get an even shape. Then cut into 4 portions and grind some black pepper on each end.
- Place the sweet potatoes, carrots, shallots and garlic on an oven tray and drizzle with olive oil and some salt, and roast in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes.
- Put a pan on a high heat and sear the beef fillet for 2-3 minutes on both sides. Transfer to an oven tray and put in the hot oven for 5 minutes (or more if you would like your meat well done). Remove from the oven and leave the meat to rest in a warm place for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile deglaze the steak pan with red wine and add the chicken stock. Reduce the liquid by at least half until it is a sauce like consisitency. Then stir in the butter to give it a rich gloss.
- In another frying pan, sear the foie gras until caramelised on both sides.
- To serve, remove the cling film from the meat and place the steak in the centre of a plate. Place the potatoes and vegetables around the steak and drizzle everything with the red wine jus and serve immediately.
More by John Murray:
- Braised Lamb's Kidneys with a Wholegrain Mustard Sauce
- Tandoori-Style Roast Chicken with Grilled Vegetables and Cumin Potatoes
- Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble