A fabulous festive treat from Geen and Black's ideal for a Christmas party!
- 175 g strawberries
- 3 g powdered pectin and 15g caster sugar
- 150 g caster sugar
- 30 g glucose
- juice of ½ small lemon (or more to taste)
- 100 g dark (70% cocoa solids, chocolate, broken into pieces)
- Puree the strawberries and measure off 120ml (4fl.oz) strawberry puree (this may vary a bit).
- Mix the pectin with the caster sugar.
- Put the strawberry puree in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil, add the mixed sugar and pectin and whisk. When the puree comes back to the boil, add the remaining sugar. Whisk to ensure all the sugar is incorporated and let it come to the boil once more.
- Add the glucose and cook the mixture over a medium heat until it reaches 106°C (220°F) on a sugar thermometer: this should take about 3 minutes. Make sure you stir right into the edges of the pan so that the sugar doesn’t burn.
- When you have reached the desired temperature, remove from the heat, add the lemon juice and pour into a mould of your choice. Leave to set for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave or heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water, then set aside to cool.
- Dip or coat the fruit paste shapes into the chocolate and place on a marble board or a chopping board lined with silicone paper. Allow the chocolate to set before serving or wrapping.
Pour your syrup into a small bottomed plastic container and once set you can unmould the fruit paste and cut it into various shapes: strips, diamonds, triangles, etc.Variation: Try using different fruit such as passion fruit, mangoes, various melons or citrus fruits. You will need to adjust the amount of lemon juice according to the fruit you use to get the right balance of sweetness and acidity. Recipes taken from Green & Black's Organic Ultimate published by Kyle Cathie Ltd.