- 8 eggs
- 50 ml milk
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tblsp chopped chives or parsley
- 110 g gruyère cheese (grated)
- 25 g butter
- You will need: 25cm (10in) diameter ovenproof frying pan
- Preheat the grill on a medium setting.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk together with the milk, seasoning with salt and pepper. Next gently mix in the herbs and grated cheese.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat. Add the butter and when it has melted and starts to foam, add the egg mixture to the hot pan. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the cooked mixture from the bottom, from the outside in, filling its space with liquid egg by gently tilting the pan.
- Do this 5–6 times, then allow the mixture to cook for a further 2–3 minutes or until the bottom of the frittata is golden – you can tell this by lifting it slightly up at the edge using a palette knife or fish slice.
- Take the pan off the heat and place under the grill, making sure that you leave a gap of a few centimetres between the frittata and the grill element. Continue cooking for a few minutes until the mixture has fluffed up nicely and is beginning to turn golden brown on top, by which stage the frittata will have cooked through to the centre.
- Using a palette knife or fish slice, loosen the edges and slide onto a plate. Serve immediately or allow to cool to room temperature.
- Mixed Leaf Salad:
- Mixed leaf/rocket salad, dressed with a squeeze of lemon juice, drizzling of honey and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- The salad would work well dressed then served on top of the frittata.