The perfect make one-freeze one recipe from Phelim Byrne
- 12 fresh pasta sheets
- 4 chicken breasts (cooked and chopped)
- 2 red peppers (sliced)
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 3-4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 courgette (chopped)
- 25 g fresh basil (chopped)
- 2 x 225ml tubs of mascarpone
- 3 tblsp grated parmesan
- salt and pepper
- 240 g grated cheddar
- tomato sauce:
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 finely diced white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- Blanch and refresh the fresh pasta sheets then place on your worktop spreading them out, without overlapping.
- In a pan fry off the garlic and red onion until soft, then add the courgette and red pepper, cooking on a medium to high heat until tender.
- Add the basil and warm through, then place the contents of the pan into a large bowl and add the cooked chicken pieces.
- Mix in the parmesan and mascarpone and season to taste. Divide this mixture between the 12 sheets along the near side and roll this mixture in the sheet to form you cannelloni.
- Place the cannelloni in two suitable sized dishes holding six each.
- Create the tomato sauce by sautéing the onion, mixed dry herbs and garlic in a little oil, until soft.
- Add the chopped tinned tomato and allow to cook stiring well until reduced a little, then season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
- If you like blitz the tomato sauce or simply pour over the cannelloni and
- sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Place one in the oven to cook for approx 45 minutes at 190c, fan assisted oven or gas mark 6 until beautifully gratinated and bubbling through.
- Place the other, now cooled, covered, dated and labelled in the freezer until required.
- Allow this dish to defrost on the refrigerator for about 24hours before cooking, when required.
Phelim's tips: You can use the pre-bought cannelloni shells instead of sheets if you wish. For a lighter filling you may also use 2 x 200ml tubs of crème fraiche mixed with 4 tsp of corn flour instead of the mascarpone. To create seafood cannelloni use monkfish, prawns and / or salmon instead of the chicken and reduce the amount of parmesan by half. For a vegetarian option replace the chicken with goats cheese or more Mediterranean vegetables. Remember when seasoning tomato sauces a pinch of caster sugar is often as important as a pinch of salt for flavour.
More by Phelim Byrne:
- Marinated Roast Pork Fillet in Chilli and Ginger
- Handmade decadent assorted Chocolate Truffles
- Herbed Sardine Humus with Fresh Tomato Bruschetta