Here's an idea for something a little bit different the next time you fancy a steak. This steak sandwich with chilli butter is so delicious that it's hard to believe how little time it takes to prepare.
- 4 (150g each) sirloin steaks
- 2 red peppers (seeded and cut into thick slices)
- 2 red onions, cut into thick slices
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 french stick or 4 ciabatta rolls
- for the chilli butter:
- 1 red chilli (seeded and finely chopped)
- 50 g butter (softened)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lightly dressed mixed salad leaves, to serve
- First make the chilli butter so that it has time to firm up in the fridge. Mash the red chilli into the softened butter with the lemon juice and parsley. Using a white spatula, transfer on to a sheet of non-stick baking parchment, shape into a roll about 4 cm (1 1/2in) thick and wrap up tightly. Chill for at least 1 hour until firm.
- Preheat a cast iron ridged griddle pan or a barbecue. Place the steaks, red peppers and red onions in a shallow dish and sprinkle over the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and season with salt and pepper, turning to coat.
- Arrange the vegetables on the hot griddle pan or barbecue. Cook the vegetables for 14-16 minutes, turning once. The steaks will take 5-6 minutes on each side for medium-rare. The time will depend on the thickness of the steaks and how well done you like your meat. Leave to rest for a few minutes.
- Split the French stick and cut into four pieces or split the ciabatta rolls and fill with and the grilled vegetables. Top with the rested steaks and add a slice or two of the chilli butter. Arrange on plates with the dressed salad leaves to serve.
More by Neven Maguire:
- The Today Show: Neven Maguire's Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Neven Maguire style
- Caramelised Pork Belly, Neven Maguire, Today show