Most supermarkets are now selling a mixed packet of gourmet or wild mushrooms, which would be perfect to use in this dish. However, if you prefer you could use all closed cup or chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 4 x 100g lean pork chops (well trimmed)
- 150 g packet gourmet mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tblsp medium sherry
- 200 ml creme fraiche
- boiled potatoes and green beans, to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- small knob of butter
- 2 shallots (finely chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Heat the oil in a frying pan and quickly sear the chops for a minute or so on each side until golden brown, then place in an ovenproof dish, side by side. Season to taste.
- Add the butter to the pan and once melted, stir in the shallots and cook for a couple of minutes until softened, stirring. Add the mushrooms and garlic and season to taste, then sáute for another few minutes until the mushrooms are just tender.
- Pour the sherry into the pan and allow to bubble down, then stir in the créme fraîche until just heated through. Spoon over the pork chops and bake for 20 minutes until the pork chops are completely cooked through. Serve the dish straight to the table and have bowls of boiled potatoes and green beans to hand around separately.
More by Bord Bia:
- Traditional Bacon and Cabbage with Mustard Sauce
- Risotto with Hake and Basil
- Haddock with Pasta and Broccoli